Monday, June 30, 2008

Weekend Update

No pictures this time, maybe I will get to them later, just a couple updates from this weekend's activities.

On Saturday, Matt and I played golf at the Delhi golf club. Was quite an adventure just to get started, as even though we had a tee time reserved, they tried to tell us we could not play. Then when we told them we didn't want a caddy, they seemed pretty shocked and required us to take two caddies anyway. Turns out it was a good thing :) These guys seemed to think that each golf ball I embarrassingly shanked into the trees was the most valuable thing in existence, and would not give up until they found it. They would also take a few practice swings themselves, and one of them was a scratch golfer, which was amazing. As expected Matt completely destroyed me, he finished 3 over par on the 9 hole course, hitting a 36. And my final score? Drum roll please........ An amazingly good......78, just 42 over par. But I just wanted to have some fun, and indeed we did.

Before this next part, I must remind everyone that this blog is not endorsed by, nor does it represent the opinions of Hewitt Associates, its affiliates, or subsidiaries. I would also state that the Surgeon General of the United States advises that drinking can be hazardous to your health :) Drink responsibly.....

Saturday night Sohenjeet took me and Matt out to a pub. Turns out we ended up at the Cafe Morrison. Felt strange being in the middle of Delhi, India, listening to the Doors, and Nickleback and other U.S. stuff, but we had a great time. For those of you that know me, you will know that I do not drink very often, so therefore don't tolerate it very well, but I had 6 shots of Zambuca, 1 Tequila, and 1 Heineken in about 3 hours, so I was having a jolly time. At least I was smart enough to know that one more would have probably put me over the line of being sick. so quit at that point and drank about 2 liters of water and ended up recovering nicely the next day. We did have a little bit of an issue when I decided to make some calls to friends back home outside the bar, and was gone for like an hour. Sohenjeet said he was about ready to call his manager to figure out what to do, he just didn't see me out between the cars in the parking lot, and I wasn't answering my phone (sorry Dude). Anyway, was nice to get out and "paint the town red," haven't done that in a long time.

Because we were all recovering from our bender, we did not make it to the Red Fort, that should be next weekend. Also planning a bowling outing this Friday, as the office is closed, and still looking forward to the embassy party this Saturday, they say it is a traditional American barbecue.

And the last little thing that happened was my, in retrospect, entertaining difficulties getting Chinese food delivered to the hotel. Took me about an hour and 4 or 5 phone calls, with the help of the concierge, to find a place that would deliver to the hotel. Then, already starving, found it would take an hour for my order to arrive. When it finally did, it was all prepackaged, and uncooked food, which I was totally surprised by. At that point, I called the room service manager to see if they could cook it for me, and he insisted on sending the head chef to my room to discuss how to prepare it, even though I told them that the packages had instructions on them. So about 15 minutes later, the chef, the duty manager, and the room service manager showed up to ask what I wanted. Eventually, they did cook the food, and prepared it well, but it ended up being a grueling 3 or 4 hour task just to get some Chinese. Needless to say (but here I go saying it anyway) I have learned that I should just eat at the hotel from here on out.

Hope everyone is well. Looking forward to seeing everyone at home in about two weeks. Two weeks plus two or three days for everyone at the office, depends how long it takes to recover from the jet lag, should be fun....

No comments: